Monday, July 14, 2014

Busan Sand Festival, Or, The Last Time I Was Remotely Dry Was Next to the Ocean

Hey, everyone! A few days ago my amazingly wonderful friend Danielle posted an interview with me on her booklover's website site, Bibliosmiles! Go check it out, and all the other awesome articles there!

I've been sitting on these pictures for a long, long time now. We went to Busan's Haeundae Beach for a mini-vacation to definitely not drink, and ended up there during the Sand Festival. I didn't even know it was an actual Festival until after we'd already gotten home and I saw it mentioned somewhere else. (Duh?)





You'd think I'd have figured it out? It was really cool to see all the sand sculptures and stuff, and it was nice to just sit on the beach and do nothing for a couple days. I got hella burned though, and now I'm walking around looking like a pill, half red and half white. Wearing anything is awful, doubly so because it's basically a necessity these days.

What in all the hells was this?
Summer is kicking my butt sometimes. It's not as horrible as everyone said it would be. The worst part is the humidity. No, wait, the worst part is the bugs. I cannot believe how huge and just all over the place the bugs are here. It's like they got smacked with radiation and turned into Marvel comics counterparts of themselves. The spiders are absolutely horrifying, and everyone else in Korea seems to just defer their land and worldly possessions to them. Bus stops and convenient stores are unbearable and I find myself ducking and weaving in staircases more often than not because they just decide "this stairwell is mine now" and start spinning traps for oblivious foreigners to fall into. 

I keep hearing the weather is going to get worse...it's going to get worse...it's going to get worse...when I visit Ulsan it seems to always be either under torrential downpour or so-humid-it-might-as-well-be underwater. Jeonju isn't much better on some days, others it's just oppressively hot. But...it still hasn't been anything worse than I've felt in New York. I think last summer might be worse than anything we've had so far. I'll see what happens comes actual rainy season. 

I wish I had my rainboots. You know, the pink ones in my closet. They're right there, plaid rubber. Y'know...sort of conveniently perfectly sized for a medium parcel. Possibly.


writerlust-signature

No comments:

Post a Comment