Thursday, June 6, 2013

400 Pageviews!

If 100 pageviews was a year and my blog a baby, it'd still be trying to bolt into traffic the instant your eyes were taken off of it.

I'm having a problem where I keep granting myself "little vacations."

"Oh, I worked forty whole hours this week, I deserve a break!"

"Oh, I worked a nine hour shift today, I deserve a break!"

"Oh, I woke up today, I deserve a break!"

Most of the time the excitement in life literally just stems from driving out to Barnes and Noble and sitting in the comfy chair in the cafe, "writing." (The real world likes to call it Facebook and Reddit)

But sometimes I get bigger little vacations, and sometimes Dan visits me and everything else in my life seems plain and boring in comparison. Kinda like this week.



He had rolled in Sunday night and I had spent all of work impatiently gnawing at the bit, waiting to go bolt to the train station to pick him up and growing increasingly more worried about "what if he misses his stop," despite the fact that he's been here a million times before.

I'm a worrier.

But he got here, and we Game of Thrones'd it up with a wildly appropriate storm coming in while being all kinds of white trash classy and sipping Mike's Hard while eating the Rosewater Panna Cotta I'd talked about some months ago and watching the wedding of the century.

But Monday was my day off of work, and I was determined not to let it fall into "so...do you wanna just go to Starbucks?" as it so often does.

So instead we did all new things! This a big deal for me, I like routine!

Taco Shack for some weird brunch consisting of burritos and enchiladas bigger than our heads. They have the best chicken enchilada - though it's honestly the only one I've ever eaten, and I've only eaten it twice, and really it's the only Mexican food I stomach in my "ew, gross, beans" lifestyle I've grown so accustomed to.* THERE ARE NO BEANS IN THIS. I REPEAT, NO BEANS IN THIS.

I worked hard to beat back my fear of looking out of place and went with Dan to the Cafeteria, the cafe that replaced the Muddy Cup but kept all its dingy old couches and questionable baristas.

I mean this in the nicest way, because I really do think I'm fond of it. I've always been a Barnes and Noble cafe fan for the obvious reasons, but after this past week and the Almond Joy coffee shake, I think I might start going there to try and write every once in a while instead. The couches are comfy, the space is vast, and the barista really only gave me the evil eye when ever she thought I was looking at her, when really I was just trying to figure out if it would be a reasonable human action to order a second coffee shake and try the Tiramisu syrup. (It wasn't. Next time...)


The weather, thankfully, sunny-fied itself in time and we went from there into Highland and for the first time ever in my area I willingly did "outdoors" things. We went to the Walkway over the Hudson and walked the ENTIRE THING. This is a big deal for my big lazy butt, but we did all 1.28 miles, there and back again.

The next night ended up being my 3-months-postponed Hibachi Birthday Dinner, complete with gong-ringing and some kind of a drink called the Karate Punch. But the next night after that, I dropped him off at the train station. And just like that, I was back to my regularly scheduled programming.

Sometimes, in my more lucid moments, I almost start to understand that my "little vacations" are really just my "little life" and there's something increasingly less special about the new arrivals section of the bookstore when the internet tells me when everything's going to come out.

*Fun Fact: My mom makes me my own separate kind of chili with no beans in it.

*Other Fun Fact: Brent Weeks says next year for Lightbringer #3, Rothfuss still lost in his own beard.

No comments:

Post a Comment